Friday, July 8, 2011

The Bicycle

  The bicycle I have chosen for my travels is a Surly Long Haul Trucker Complete. The LHT is built from the ground up as a heavy duty touring rig. Comfortable, strong, and stable under a full load.


  The LHT is a 4130 chromoly steel frame with a component set chosen with both economy and touring in mind. The 52cm 2011 Trucker I purchased comes with strong 36 spoke 26" touring wheels ready to haul the 40-50lbs. of gear I will be carrying with me. The Low gearing will make it easier to ascend those 8,000+ft. mountain passes.

  The LHT does not come with racks so I purchased and installed Surly Nice Racks front and back to attach Ortleib panniers to.

                                                                                     
   The front rack is probably a little over built but very strong. I haven't decided what to carry on the top of the front rack, a waterproof book bag for a small library of paperbacks is at the top of my list though. I also added Shimano pedals with flats on one side and clipless on the other. The clipless sides of the pedals, contrary to their name, allow you to wear special cycling shoes that you can clip onto the pedal thus making you one with your bike. Of course you can quickly unclip in an emergency or to stop and straddle your back at a stop or wherever.

  And So you have met the Bicycle, my Stead. The name I have chosen for my steel horse is Endeavor in honor of the Space Shuttle Endeavor. I took Endeavor the bicycle into my possession on May 30th. 2011 during The Space Shuttle Endeavors final mission, the shuttle landed on Earth for the final time on June 1st. 2011.


  Pictures taken 7/8/2011 Beals Point, Folsom Lake CA

No comments:

Post a Comment